Thursday, February 21, 2008

#16 Wiki, Wiki, Wiki World

Wiki's in libraries appear to be becoming more and more well used. I looked at those in Bull Run Library and the Pathfinders wiki from SJCPL. Both of these look extremely useful and helpful for their staff as well as their patrons. In PRL we could possibly use wikis to help make our home page "smaller" by having links to the different wiki pages.

I particularly like the idea of pathfinders for our staff and patrons. We often get repeat projects from the different schools in the area, year after year. If we could upload pathfinders to help each time and keep them current, it would be a big help for all of us.

I admit willingly that I love Wikipedia. When working the Reference Desk I often am asked about something with which I have very little knowledge. If I cannot Google it properly, then I'll go to Wikipedia to search for it and either of these searches can often get me started. Google is a little bit more helpful, often, because it will offer corrected spelling, if I've plugged in something not quite spelled correctly. Anyway, don't be afraid to use Wikipedia as a starting point to get you to the reputable source of information. At least in my opinion!!!

No comments: