Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Technology Rocks!!!


In spite of what this graphic appears to mean, Pamunkey 20 things has been an adventure of Snake Oil proportions. It appears to have oiled the palms of many of our staff, who have contributed to the entire 20 things with gusto. I was absent from work for 6 weeks and even managed to get caught back up when I returned, much to my amazement. I had experienced most of the 20 things before we started this venture, so a lot of this was review for me. I did, however, manage to encourage many of the staff participating in this and was able to express my very positive opinions of many of these technologies.

I truly believe this has been eye-opening for many of the staff and will benefit the library with the staff being aware of what is "out there." If a patron proposes something about their mp3 player, for example, our staff might not look strangely at them now, but might instead ask what that is and how it is used before they discount it. When I learn a new game or program, I love to play with it for a while to become familiar and easily use it. I think this program has done some of that for many of our non-techie staff.

I am an obvious life-long learner, having gone back to graduate school in my 50's. This exercise for 20 weeks and almost 20 things was an added bonus for me. I truly hope those who have participated are feeling much the same way now. Some people naturally don't like to learn new things, which is unfortunate for them, but this program was a well planned opportunity for many of us to continue to learn and grow, no matter what our age or stage in life.

My only question now is: Where are the prizes???????





1 comment:

Dirt Road Diva said...

Congratulations on finishing the 20 things - in spite of being out knitting for six weeks (don't you wish). Glad you are back and finished!